Information ausblenden
Keine Lust mehr auf das Single-Leben?
  1. Vegetables

Meet someone when you don't speak german enough

Hi everyone,

How do you feel about dating german girls when you don't speak german well enough?
    I live close to the luxemburgish border, i work there, and have been living in Germany since two years now.
    Is it possible to consider dating a german girl if she speaks english well enough of course, or do you think it is vowed to failure?
    I have been said lately by someone that it would not work between her and me even if her english skills were good...
    thanks for sharing your thoughts!

26.05.2018 #1
  2. Hey,
    you know what they say: love knows no borders :). It's an absolute bullshit to tell you that having a language barrier it won't work. I happen to know a business partner who is from Luxembourg and he is a very nice and funny guy. His native language has about the same sound like the german dialect spoken in the Ruhr Area and it sounds funny. :) He learned german, living her and is married to a german girl.

So I dunno why that wouldn't work for you too. :)

26.05.2018 #2
  3. Menno
    You make me foxdevilswild ...:D

26.05.2018 #3
    Fraunette, q(n) =4 und MaryCandice gefällt das.
  4. Synergie
    @Vegetables
    It's of course not destined to not work out.
    But you might want to be prepared for additional efforts and particularly thoughtful communication, re-phrased iterartions and both of you probably need at least some awareness of the matter and patience for it, as well as some degree of tolerance for misunderstandings, esp because English is neither your, nor her, mother-tongue.

Zuletzt bearbeitet: 26.05.2018
    26.05.2018 #4
  5. Victor
    Do not care about anything that another one wants to tell you about love. You got to get the answers you need by yourself, because there is nobody else like you. The sooner you stick to your own experience, the sooner you'll be able to make any progress.

I wish there was an easy way, but some day you get used to it and it becomes the most exciting chase in live. Good luck to you.

26.05.2018 #5
  6. Zaphira
    Hey @Vegetables,
    welcome to the area... :)

Communication in a relationship is very important, the more if one or both are speaking another mother tongue. Misinterpretation and misunderstanding is more likely and I join @Synergie’s opinion concerning additional efforts to be made.

I myself have been married to a French native speaker. We both made the effort to learn the other one’s language - I did better ;)… It did not work out but not because of the language.

Have you tried to learn German since you are living here? Do you have German friends to practice? This might be helpful for a start. Give it a try!

26.05.2018 #6
    Fraunette und fraumoh gefällt das.
  7. WolkeVier
    Das gibt mir zu denken... :)

26.05.2018 #7
  8. WolkeVier
    Ah, jetzt... :)

26.05.2018 #8
  9. Zaphira
    Ähem, ja, mir jetzt auch ... :rolleyes::D

Aber, könnte ja folgendermaßen sein:
    Er Spanier, Sie Französin und beide kommunizieren auf Englisch..., oder so...

Wäre noch komplizierter.

26.05.2018 #9
  10. WolkeVier
    Ja, ist echt wahr. Lustigerweise hatte ich das sogar selber schon mal so, also dass Englisch für beide nicht die Muttersprache war. Und ich muss zugeben, dass es mitunter nicht so einfach war.

26.05.2018 #10
  11. Serafine
    Hi,
    for me it's only a question of love and my firm will. If the language is presented at the beginning as a possible problem, it will not become easier in the further course.
    If you listen to your heart, the rest will come if you both want it.

26.05.2018 #11
  12. Sweclane
    Ever tried OKCupid? You'll find multilingual people there.

26.05.2018 #12
  13. himbeermond
    I have heard that it should be possible to learn a foreign language - at any age. And the interest in another person or even love is certainly not the worst motivation. ;)

26.05.2018 #13
  14. koerschgen
    Da stimme ich Dir zu. Englisch ist nicht gleich Englisch. So finde ich das kanadische Englisch teilweise nicht so leicht verstaendlich. Fuer einige Wortverbindungen ("Codes") brauchte ich z. Bsp. zwei Jahre, um diese zu verstehen...:rolleyes:

29.05.2018 #14
  15. IMHO
    ... und leben in Vietnam :eek:

29.05.2018 #15